Thank you, Pope Francis! 😀
It has truly been 5 glorious days for the Philippines as we were visited by the supreme pontiff- Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 78 years old, born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, more popularly known as Pope Francis.
His trip was themed Mercy and Compassion, and why not? Pope Francis has been very passionate in showing his love and genuine care for the Filipinos, especially when he visited Tacloban of which was one of his main purpose on his visit here in our country.
To emphasize his affection for us, I have listed 15 of his most memorable statements during his stay here that will make us feel loved by our Catholic leader and make our faith stronger in times of struggles.
1. “I admire heroic strength, faith and resilience of Filipinos in the face of disasters.”
2. Filipino virtues are “rooted in hope and solidarity instilled by Christian faith.”
3. “Philippines plays important role in fostering understanding and cooperation in Asia.”
4. “Political leaders must be outstanding for honesty, integrity and commitment to common good.”
5. “It is difficult in democracies today to protect and defend human dignity, religious freedom and right to life of unborn and elderly.”
6. “Filipinos of the diaspora have made real contributions to life and welfare of societies where they live.”
7. “Filipinos have rich cultural and religious heritage … that could be used for integral human development.”
8. “Just solutions to Mindanao issue must be in accord with nation’s founding principles and respectful of inalienable rights.”
9. Mindanao solution should respect “inalienable rights … of indigenous peoples and religious minorities.”
10. Philippine Church must do examination of conscience and “embrace path of constant conversion.”
11. “Only by becoming poor ourselves, by stripping away our complacency, will we be able to identify ourselves with poor.”
12. “Like all God’s gifts, the family can be disfigured and destroyed.”
13. “It is in the family that we first learn how to pray … to grow into men and women of faith.”
14. “Our world needs good and strong families to overcome threats to family life.”
15. “Protect your families … Be sanctuaries of respect for life.”
Most of us wanted to see him, touch him, take a picture of him or with him.
My nephew, Pharaoh, and I managed to take a photo with him after Sunday mass at San Nicolas de Tolentino parish. 😀
Pope Francis’ mass at Luneta before he left the Philippines shows how strong our Christian faith is. It shows that religion unites us, look at how we are united during the feast of the Black Nazarene. It shows that we Filipinos remain faithful to God, no matter the challenges we face, even more by the challenges we face.
“Ang Pilipinas ay patunay ng kabataan at kasiglahan ng simbahan.” One of Pope Francis’ tagalog tweets.
Another historic event for us! Let us stay binded by our Catholic faith and know that the Philippines is blessed!
Peace be with you,